• 176 million women worldwide suffer
• 1 in 10 women suffers from endometriosis with endometriosis.
• Endometriosis impacts on all aspects of a woman’s life; it is not just the physical symptoms she has to deal with, but also financial, relationship, emotional and mental health aspects. (Ballard, K. Lowtan, K. Wright, J. 2006)
• There is a delay in diagnosis of between 7 and ten years. This is due to girls and women normalizing symptoms as well as doctors normalizing symptoms when women do finally seek medical assistance. Early diagnosis and treatment reduce the long term impacts of endometriosis and frequency of invasive treatments and fertility treatments. Raising awareness is the first step to reducing the delay in diagnosis across all age groups. Education about menstrual health, what is normal and what is not is vital in younger age groups to break the current cycle of delay in diagnosis and flow on affects for the next generation (Ballard, K. Lowtan, K. Wright, J. 2006 & Dessole, M. Benedetto Melis, G., Angioni, S., 2012)
• The average cost per woman per year from endometriosis was calculated in a study across ten countries. The key points from that study were as follows;
o Alarmingly the average delay in diagnosis is seven years (also the estimated figure for Australia).
the severity of the stage of endometriosis did not reflect the severity of the symptoms
o Quality of life was impacted by symptoms, the main culprit being pain. It impacted on productivity levels at work as well as non-work related activities including, housework, exercise relationships, child caring, shopping and study.
the average cost of endometriosis per woman per year
• Total=€9,579 (≈$12,094.25AUS)
• Lost work productivity=€6,298 (≈ $7950.28AUS)
• Direct health care costs=€3,113 (≈ $3929.70AUS)
o The cost of endometriosis reaches further than the personal costs for a woman with endometriosis. It has a wider impact on the community. Lost productivity is twice the cost than the direct health care costs to a woman with endometriosis. This study doesn’t include the cost to a countries health system.
(Endometriosis Research Foundation Global Study of Women’s Health Consortium.)
Diagnosis & Treatment of Endometriosis in Adolescents http://www.uptodate.com/contents/diagnosis-and-treatment-of-endometriosis-in-adolescents/abstract/55
Recurrence of endometriosis after hysterectomy
Extrapelvic endometriosis: a rare entity or an under diagnosed condition?
Endobronchial endometriosis presenting as central-type lung cancer: a case report
Early-life factors and endometriosis risk
The heritability of endometriosis
The Surgical Treatment of Severe Endometriosis Positively Affects the Chance of Natural or Assisted Pregnancy Postoperatively
Advances in the genetics of endometriosis
IL-17A Contributes to the Pathogenesis of Endometriosis by Triggering Proinflammatory Cytokines and Angiogenic Growth Factors.
Gastrointestinal symptoms among endometriosis patients—A case-cohort study
Role of colonoscopy in the diagnostic work-up of bowel endometriosis
Bowel endometriosis: Colorectal surgeon’s perspective in a multidisciplinary surgical team
Endometriosis and its coexistence with irritable bowel syndrome and pelvic inflammatory disease: findings from a national case-control study--Part 2.
Urinary retention following laparoscopic gynaecological surgery with or without 4% icodextrin anti-adhesion solution.
Surgical Therapy of Endometriosis: Challenges and Controversies
Update on Biomarkers for the Detection of Endometriosis
Pregnancy outcomes in women with endometriosis: a national record linkage study.
Sexual function in women undergoing surgery for deep infiltrating endometriosis: a comparison with healthy women.
Laparoscopic excision of endometriosis: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial.
Clinical and quality-of-life outcomes after fertility-sparing laparoscopic surgery with bowel resection for severe endometriosis.
The direct and indirect costs associated with endometriosis: a systematic literature review.
A prospective study of dietary fat consumption and endometriosis risk.
Curcumin inhibits endometriosis endometrial cells by reducing estradiol production
Pericardial, pleural and diaphragmatic endometriosis in association with pelvic peritoneal and bowel endometriosis: a case report and review of the literature
Spontaneous Fingertip Endometriosis: A Rare Case Report